Wednesday, November 16, 2005


I'm in a deep blue funk these days. I've just been trying to survive the over powering fear once again of my youngest son leaving for Iraq the first week of December. Tonight he calls and tells me he has good news to share with me ( he is going back to the same area of Iraq ) well let me tell you my heart dropped another level, its the Balaad area and no it is not a good area for any of our guys. Damn I hate this war, but yet I am so proud of him and those he serves with. All I seem to do is pray for the safety of all and try to remember the good times we have shared.
He had come home in August to go to Fort Benning for more intense training and came here every week-end when he could. He came to say goodbye a couple weeks ago on his way back to Fort Carson, he went out the door and left me one of his favorite Notre Dame caps to keep for his return, thats a special thing between me and him. It will be a long time before I see him again and I pray to God for grace and dignity to strengthen him and that God cover him with his all powerful shield of love, carry him when he finds things are to great to bear and protect all our soldiers there.
Thought I might share a picture he left with me, he was really enjoying his day.

6 comments:

John said...

I wish him and you all of the protection and grace that there IS. He's very lucky to have you for a mom. I'm sure he's content in knowing how much you love him and how proud you are of him.

Carolyn said...

What a big smile! And that little one looks just like him.

I will pray for Troy's safety too and for all of you Tobiejo. It seems to me that you're caught in this war as much as anyone. You are caught in 2 ways. You are in the middle between supporting your son and the other soldiers, and then those in power that make us question why it has to keep going. Also, you're stuck on the sidelines waiting for news and answers. Maybe you should look to see if there's a support group close by you can meet with others there. They say 'strength in numbers' so it might help. I wish I could come give you a big ole hug. ((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

Unknown said...

Tobie, Prayers for your son's safety are being said! I honor his service and admire his sense of duty, honor and courage. I am former military myself and I know you worry. I can see a "plainspoken country woman" can still raise a good son!

From My Pen said...

John, good to see you, thanks for stopping in.Thank you for the good words.:)

From My Pen said...

Carolyn, thank you, Yes the little is a carbon lol.Thank you for caring and your support. See ya soon. :)

From My Pen said...

Thank you t_stormcrowe, for stopping in and leaving good spirits behind. He landed in Kuwait yesterday, now for the long year and wait. With folk like you out there keeping the faith and prayers going, it will pass faster. Thank you for service to our country.