Saturday, May 28, 2005

I Remember You

It was late into night; sleep seeming to escape my body. My mind wandering back where time had left faint remembrances of you. The gentle swish of the trees crept slowly pass me as I had walked to you so long ago. Fragrant flowers lined my pathway, as my heart jumped and pumped the delicious thoughts of you there waiting for me like always. I could almost smell the scent of your masculine frame as I came closer to you. Your dark hair with its curl gently spilling over the strong forehead drew me into your brown eyes making my knees weak with happiness, a thrill like none other I had ever felt. You were my first real love and I yours, we wasted no time in exploring the magic of youthful love and filled with desire we consumed ourselves till we were full.
Long walks hand in hand, making plans for a future together. Dreams seemed to be magic back then, as we talked of home children and growing old together as we sat on the back porch of your parent's home. It was yours now as they had left it to you, now with my mind twirling, I would made curtains to hang gracefully against the fresh painted walls of beautiful colors we would pick together. Soon I would become your wife. The old rockers your folks had sat in, needed a fresh coat of paint and would fit us just right. The world was made for us to feast our dreams and sow our seeds, as night slowly approached and the moon would slowly rise as we lay by the fireplace. The beautiful French doors made of glass and oak opened into the night air, with the gentle stir of air seeming to chill the room as we snuggled closer and with the warm glow of the fire we gave into the feelings we shared once more.
Winter months turning into spring as the earth seemed to come to life, plans were made of our big day, it would just be the two of us and maybe your brother if he could come, my family wouldn't accept you and I had moved on and accepted that. I had sat on the front porch of my parents home waiting for you to come and pick me up, three hours late I was getting worried, three days passed and I had remained there faithful to my heart and you, crying now I stood up. Cramped from sitting so long, my eyes swollen from tears, I walked into the house. My parents not saying a word pretended to watch the television as I closed the door to my room. Throwing myself upon my bed I cried till no more tears would flow. Sleep came and my parents let me sleep, calling my work and telling them I was sick and would be off for a couple of days. They knew I was broken down to my very core and knew rest would help my drained body recover.
Awakening it seemed from a very long sleep, I slowly remembered the last few days and tears this time would not come. Now I was angry confused and bitter, he had made a fool of me and now I would show him the pain he had caused me as I started for the shower. Feeling better and catching a bite to eat I went off to my work. My boss knew that I had wanted to marry and most of the others knew and I just let them think whatever they wanted but I told them it was over and wanted to move on with my life, while deep inside me the pain, heartbreak seemed to draw the life from me, how could love hurt so badly and lord would it ever go away, please I would pray send him back to me, it was the only cure I knew of then.
For six long years we had an off again on again affair, plans always seemed to be there, one day we would be together forever. Slowly the cocoon I was wrapped into seemed to find a light drawing me back into a world where real people lived and worked, I never looked back again as I left him and later found another love. He would always remain the one I would love most and I would find myself dreaming of those days, while tending to my own children, wishing they had been ours.

Feeling a faint breeze I knew he was still safe in my heart, reaching to touch the curl that fell across his brow, sleep finally came.
© Tobie Haga Roy

No comments: